If your expression pedal isn't functioning correctly when connected to the COBALT8 expression pedal input port, there may be a number of reasons and solutions for this:
COBALT8 works best with expression pedals that use the TRS polarity (control value sent on the tip of the jack), however it is possible to allow basic compatibility with pedals that use the RTS polarity (control value sent on the ring of the jack) using the 'Expression Pedal Type' setting found on the 'UI & Controls Settings' screen page. Please make sure that the 'Expression Pedal Type' setting is set to the correct polarity value based on the polarity of your expression pedal. If your expression pedal has a polarity switch we recommend setting it to the ‘TRS’ polarity (the default setting on most pedals) and using a 'TRS' polarity value on the COBALT8 setting. If you have the wrong polarity value set then your pedal will not function correctly (e.g. full modulation range can’t be obtained, modulation curve will be skewed). If you are unable to configure COBALT8 to work adequately with your RTS expression pedal, you may need to use a TRS Polarity Adapter (sold separately). Expression pedals that use the TS polarity will not work with COBALT8.
- COBALT8 will work with expression pedals that have a resistance of 10k or above. Please use the 'Expression Pedal Type' setting found on the 'UI & Controls Settings' screen page to set the correct resistance value based on the resistance of your expression pedal - select the ‘1’ sub-mode for expression pedals with a resistance of 10k; select the ‘2’ sub-mode for expression pedals with a resistance of 20k or 25k, or select the ‘3’ sub-mode for expression pedals with a resistance of 50k or above. If you are unsure of the resistance of your expression pedal then select the ‘1’ sub-mode - this will work with the majority of expression pedals but you may find that the maximum modulation happens before the pedal completes its movement (but selecting ‘2’ or ‘3’ instead may improve on this). Using a resistance setting value higher than that of your pedal will result in your expression pedal not reaching the maximum modulation value.
- If the modulation matrix expression pedal assignments aren't working, please go to the 'Keyboard / Voice' screen page and check the value of the 'Expr Depth' parameter - a value of 0 will result in no expression pedal modulation.
- To assign the expression pedal to a function, press the Expr button 4th in from the joystick. This enters Expr assign mode, turn a dial that you want expression to control and that will assign that function to the pedal.
- You can also do this using Modal App.
- Decide on the function you want expression to control. This is the destination. Click the down arrow to reveal the source menu. Choose Expr.