Firstly, make sure MODALapp is closed (or the Modal device you want to use is disconnected from MODALapp), and if using Windows make sure that the Modal device you want to use isn't connected to any other MIDI applications (including the host DAW).
Then please do the following to connect your Modal device to MODALplugin:
- Connect your Modal device to your computer via USB and power on the unit
- Launch your VST3 / AU-compatible DAW / software of choice
- Create a new instrument / MIDI track
- Find MODALplugin in your list of instrument plugins, and set it as the instrument on the new track. If MODALplugin is not appearing in your list of instrument plugins, please see here.
- Open the editor of MODALplugin
- Using the ‘Device’ drop down menu at the top of the plugin UI, select the Modal device you want to connect to
- The device editor UI should now be visible and allow you to control the hardware. If the editor UI does not appear, please see here.
Please do not set the MIDI input or MIDI output of the DAW track to be the Modal device – doing this may cause MIDI problems or unexpected behaviour (especially on Windows). Please see the MODALplugin user manual for more information.
Please take a look at our Quick Tip for more information.